The Academic's Handbook
Primary: The Academic's Handbook.pdf - 20,544 KB/Sec
Mirror [#1]: The Academic's Handbook.pdf - 43,220 KB/Sec
Mirror [#2]: The Academic's Handbook.pdf - 24,778 KB/Sec
- The Academic Job Search Handbook
- The Essential College Professor: A Practical Guide to an Academic Career
- Advice for New Faculty Members
- How to Write a Lot: A Practical Guide to Productive Academic Writing (LifeTools: Books for the General Public)
- The Professor Is In: The Essential Guide To Turning Your Ph.D. Into a Job
- Research Methodology: A Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners
- Essential Elements: Prepare, Design, and Teach Your Online Course
- The Chicago Guide to Your Academic Career: A Portable Mentor for Scholars from Graduate School through Tenure
- Tools for Teaching
- The Compleat Academic: A Career Guide
Faculty members, administrators, and professionals with experience at all levels of higher education offer candid, practical advice to help beginning academics understand matters including:
— The different kinds of institutions of higher learning and expectations of faculty at each.
— The advantages and disadvantages of teaching at four-year colleges instead of research universities.
— The ins and outs of the job market.
— Alternatives to tenure-track, research-oriented positions.
— Salary and benefits.
— The tenure system.
— Pedagogy in both large lecture courses and small, discussion-based seminars.
— The difficulties facing women and minorities within academia.
— Corporations, foundations, and the federal government as potential sources of research funds.
— The challenges of faculty mentoring.
— The impact of technology on contemporary teaching and learning.
— Different types of publishers and the publishing process at university presses.
— The modern research library.
— The structure of university governance.
— The role of departments within the university.
With the inclusion of eight new chapters, this edition of The Academic’s Handbook is designed to ease the transition from graduate school to a well-rounded and rewarding career.
Contributors. Judith K. Argon, Louis J. Budd, Ronald R. Butters, Norman L. Christensen, Joel Colton, Paul L. Conway, John G. Cross, Fred E. Crossland, Cathy N. Davidson, A. Leigh DeNeef, Beth A. Eastlick, Matthew W. Finkin, Jerry G. Gaff, Edie N. Goldenberg, Craufurd D. Goodwin, Stanley M. Hauerwas, Deborah L. Jakubs, L. Gregory Jones, Nellie Y. McKay, Patrick M. Murphy, Elizabeth Studley Nathans, A. Kenneth Pye, Zachary B. Robbins, Anne Firor Scott, Sudhir Shetty, Samuel Schuman, Philip Stewart, Boyd R. Strain, Emily Toth, P. Aarne Vesilind, Judith S. White, Henry M. Wilbur, Ken Wissoker